Carbon Monoxide poisoning comes from any gas heater. It kills 2 Victorians every year! You can’t see it & you can’t smell it.
Energy Safe Victoria demands you test your gas heaters every 2 years. Our equipment is the best you can buy. We test and service our teasing units every winter so that you have piece of mind knowing we got it right and you’re safe.
Badly maintained heaters can produce Carbon Monoxide which kills 1 person in Victoria every year!
- Shortness of breath
- Mild or severe headaches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weakness and sleepiness.
On average, one Victorian a year dies from carbon monoxide poisoning and many more suffer chronic, debilitating effects of Carbon Monoxide. In 2010 Vanessa and Scott Robinson lost their two sons, aged six and eight, to carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty gas wall heater in their rented home.
Landlord and agent responsibilities
The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 states that landlords and their agents must ensure that all rented premises are maintained in “good repair”. Included in this statement are all gas and electrical appliances that are provided by the landlord. It means that they must be kept safe to use and properly maintained. For further information see ESV’s Landlords and Tenants: Your Responsibilities guide
How to check for a Carbon Monoxide leak:
Because CO is both odourless and colourless, it can be difficult to detect. Here are some signs that there may be a carbon monoxide gas leak, but we recommend getting a professional (such as us) to check your home regularly.
– pilot lights frequently go out or gas burners that turn a weird colour.
– hard surfaces attracting abnormal levels of dew, or windows gathering water (increased humidity can be a sign of a gas leak)
– soot accumulation around fireplaces and other fuel-burning devices
– flu-like symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, headaches, coughing fits, and other symptoms with people around the house
Get your heater checked for Carbon Monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer – you can’t smell it, taste it or see it…
The State Minister for energy and resources in Victoria recently stated at Parliament House that
“…all Victorians should ensure that their gas appliances are regularly checked and serviced at least every two years by a qualified gas fitter.”
Video from energy safe Victoria about the death of two boys from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Contact us to book appointment for your carbon monoxide testing on the Bellarine Peninsula, specifically Ocean Grove, Point Lonsdale, Queenscliff, Torquay, Port Arlington and Greater Geelong.